Essential oils are small enough in molecular structure to penetrate the skin’s surface and therefore provide effective relief for localised skin conditions such as dandruff. Unsightly and embarrassing as dandruff can be, finding a way to get rid of dandruff without commercial products such as Head and Shoulders and other prescription shampoos like Nizoral which contain the active ingredient called ketoconazole can be very satisfying for those who prefer using natural remedies.
Are you sure you have dandruff?
Getting a formal diagnosis is the first step to effectively treating any skin condition. There are many other causes of an itchy scalp including seborrheic dermatitis, contact dermatitis, head lice and psoriasis, so first find out exactly what you have to make sure you can find the most effective treatment for you. Once you have a firm diagnosis, you can find a solution to get rid of dandruff.
How do essential oils work to treat dandruff?
The topical application of essential oils on the scalp means that the yeast which causes dandruff, a fungus called malassezia, is attacked head on. Absorption via the pores of the scalp and hair follicles provide effective, topical relief from symptoms of dandruff. Essential oils are effective dandruff remedies because they soothe, nourish and fortify the scalp to prevent symptoms recurring. They can be used on a regular basis either as a rinse, in your favourite shampoo or as an overnight application in another carrier oil. The use of strong antifungal & astringent essential oils such as sandalwood, cedarwood and geranium is extremely effective when trying to get rid of dandruff.
As essential oils pass through into the bloodstream, the quality of the oils you use is very important. Buy the purest, organic oils you can source to ensure how effectively it can be absorbed as well as its ability to treat the skin condition.
Try using the following essential oils to get your gorgeous, glossy, flake free hair back.
Using essential oils to get rid of dandruff
- Sandalwood Santalum album is one of the few essential oils to have its medicinal properties rigourously backed up by scientific evidence and testing. It is incredible for all skin conditions like dandruff including eczema, psoriasis, oily skin and acne. It’s strong astringent properties make it excellent for treating dandruff.
- Geranium Pelargonium graveolens is very popular in skin care due to its ability to balance sebum production. It is very cleansing, toning and balancing. Excellent in the treatment of dandruff.
- Cedarwood Juniperis virginiana is extremely effective for dandruff and all scalp conditions including eczema, seborrheic dermatitis and in the treatment of baldness. It not only fights the dandruff, but also strengthens hair growth.
- Tea Tree Melaleuca alternifolia and other anti-fungal essential oils can also be used effectively to treat dandruff. Tea tree is very effective against all three categories of infectious organisms: bacteria, fungi and virus, and therefore can be found in many commercial and organic shampoos. Tea tree is very strong and therefore should be used with caution in cases of sensitive skin or when treating younger children.
- Orange Citrus sinensis and bergamot Citrus bergamia are also useful oils for conditions of the scalp & skin and very effective in the treatment of dandruff
How to use essential oils to get rid of dandruff
- Add six drops of your chosen essential oil to a litre of filtered water and use as a final rinse after each shampoo
- Add 6 drops to your favourite shampoo and use as normal
- Add 6 drops to 15ml of jojoba carrier oil and massage into scalp, leaving overnight and rinsing in the morning, repeating every other day for a week and then once a week to maintain scalp health
Changes to your diet can also help get rid of dandruff.
With carefully selected essential oils and some tender loving care, your locks will be flake free in no time. Essential oils are very effective in the quest to get rid of dandruff.